It’s time for a new update to Seafoam, the website theme currently in use here (on my Blog) and by my wider site.
In reviewing my blog, I realized it’s been many versions and a couple of years since I did a post about a Seafoam release. In the background, I’ve continued to make small improvements. I also use the project for private, personal projects, so some of the improvements are centered on those. What drove this particular release was that something has happened that broke my fonts. Previously, they were hosted directly on Google Fonts, but they seem to have stopped loading, so with this release they are “internal” to the theme.
As well, minchin.releaser has made putting out a release very simple, to the point where a blog post about the release in question can be the hardest part of the whole process (and so they often just never happen…). You’ll notice in the changelog below it’s not uncommon to see multiple releases the same day.
Fallback fonts (i.e. “broken”)
This theme is based on Bootstrap 3. About a year ago, I’d started an effort to move to Bootstrap 4. Turns out that transition is a bit of a pain, and I never did finish it to my liking. Now Bootstrap 5 (at least the first alphas build) have been released, so I’ll probably just skip 4 if I ever do that update. A big issue on updating Bootstrap, at least for me, is that they changed their preferred CSS processor from LESS to SASS: Bootstrap 3 supported both, while version 4 is SASS only. All my modifications had been done in LESS, so that provided a large effort to “translate”.
Upgrading should is straight forward. I haven’t broken anything on purpose since v2.0.0 came out.
To install or to upgrade, you can use pip:
pip install seafoam --upgrade
Update: July 18, 2020
New day, new update! Version 2.4.6 adds a few non-breaking spaces to improve the flow of the acticle details on the article index page.
See my previous post for earlier changelog entries.
Version 2.1.0 — February 20, 2017
- feature: add support for the readtime plugin in preference to the post-stats plugin to get article reading time. The former is available on PyPI (as pelican-readtime), while the latter is not.
- support: document optionally supported plugins (see issue 2.)
Version 2.1.1 — March 8, 2017
- bug: fix pagination links on category and tag pages. See issue 6.
- bug: remove unused code in pagination template. Thanks @jorgesumle! (see issue 13.)
Version 2.1.2 — March 8, 2017
- bug: provide universal wheels. On versions of Python before 3.4 (when the pathlib module was added to the standard library), we now depend on pathlib2.
- bug: provide an absolute path.
Version 2.1.3 — April 19, 2017
- support: document most theme options (see issue 2).
Version 2.1.4 — April 9, 2017
- suupport: Framework :: Pelican :: Themes trove classifier on PyPI now available.
Version 2.1.5 — May 31, 2017
- bug: indent definition list items (see issue 11).
- bug: note that Image Processing v1.1.2 is broken (see their issue 2). Use a different version of that plugin.
Version 2.2.0 — November 13, 2017
- feature: include prjct template.
- feature: include 404 template (see issue 15).
- feature: use
NAVBAR_ON_TOPto move the menu from the left side of the page to the top (the Bootstrap default).
- bug: respect Pelican’s
- support: use minchin.releaser to put out releases.
Version 2.2.1 — November 13, 2017
- bug: fix reference to python-dateutil in project metadata.
Version 2.3.0 — November 29, 2017
- feature: add basic support for Tuque Search plugin.
- feature: added support for prjct.
- bug: fix issues with navbar coloring, navbar brand text + logo layout, and sidebar alinement.
Version 2.3.1 — November 30, 2017
- bug: fix styling of breadcrumbs on article pages.
- bug: fix styling of pager on search results.
Version 2.3.2 — December 8, 2017
- bug: fix styling of main text body when using vertical menu.
Version 2.3.3 — January 18, 2018
- bug: make Archives link work better with vertical menu and with sub-sites.
Version 2.3.4 — January 18, 2018
- bug: Add instructions on how to use the 404 Error page.
Version 2.4.0 — February 3, 2018
- feature: various CSS additions to support Gigatrees 4.4.1 (genealogy site generator).
- support: upgrade to respond.js v1.4.2.
CUSTOM_JS_LIST_HEAD, which is designed to work very similar to
- feature: add
JQUERY_JS_IN_HEADto move loading JQuery from the end of the page to the head section.
- feature: support local and absolute URLs for
CUSTOM_JS_LIST, and scripts directly for
- bug: Make the output HTML a little cleaner.
- support: edit some JS and CSS links to explicitly note the version of the library being loaded. This should make both cache-ing and library upgrading a little simpler.
Version 2.4.1 — October 25, 2018
- bug: adjust 404 page text.
Version 2.4.2 — September 2, 2019
- bug: limit width of images on index pages to 100%.
Version 2.4.3 — September 2, 2019
- bug: upgrade Tipue Search to version 7.1, and update templates to match.
Version 2.4.4 — June 26, 2020
- bug: use local version of fonts. (see issue 16.)
Version 2.4.5 — July 16, 2020
- bug: have bullet points list separators go to the next line.
- bug: only display comment count if there are comments.
Version 2.4.6 — July 18, 2020
- bug: add a new non-breaking spaces to help flow of article details on blog index.